The Day After

I felt pretty good early today after my first training session yesterday. When I went to bed last night, I thought I might have trouble getting out of bed this morning, but I really didn’t have much in the way of muscle aches and pains. I could tell that my muscles had been stressed, but they didn’t protest much.

Until this afternoon. I took my usual walk during lunch and returned to my desk. As the afternoon wore on, I felt my muscles tighten and grow sore. They got tender, then even more tender throughout the afternoon. At 5:00, I struggled out of my chair, gingerly slipped my windbreaker on over my aching shoulders and arms, and hobbled out of the building. I slowly got into my car, and regretted having slipped my keys into my jacket pocket after I unlocked the door because I had a hell of a time getting them out of the pocket. They weren’t hard to find, just hard to get out because my arm muscles were so painful.

I was ravenously hungry today. I don’t know if that’s a symptom of using atrophied muscles, but it was unusual for me to feel that way, especially ALL day. I have bouts of hunger from time to time, but usually having one meal will satisfy me until the next meal. Today, I was hungry starting about 9:00 a.m. (and this was after eating breakfast at 6). I started nibbling on lunch shortly after 11 because I just couldn’t wait. By 2:15, I was hungry again, and luckily had set aside some carrots and celery. They held me till 3:30 when I actually considered hitting the vending machine in the cafeteria. I didn’t though. The only thing worthwhile there might have been a package of peanuts, but they’re usually pretty salty and I have weaned myself off of salty snacks.

It was raining this afternoon when I got home, so I talked myself out of biking. I also talked myself out of a stint on my elliptical, and talked myself into an early supper. So here I sit with a belly full of tuna & wild rice, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, Edy’s ice cream, salt free tortilla chips & salsa, and an apple. It’s almost 7:30 p.m. and I’m thinking about checking the fridge.


I’m finished gorging myself for the day. At least I think I am.

I wonder how I’ll feel tomorrow morning when I get out of bed. Besides hungry.

%d bloggers like this: