The Trip – Day 3

August 31, 2015

Barb and I crawled out of bed at 4:30 this morning. That’s 7:30 back in Fort Wayne, so I guess we actually overslept. We had neighbors in an adjacent room last night and we met them at the breakfast table. They’re from Denver and are first time visitors like us. One thing we like about B & Bs is that you meet and have conversations with people from different places and with different experiences. This adds an interesting dimension to a travel experience.

We’re staying in the Whispering Creek B & B in Sedona. It’s located just a couple of blocks from Uptown Sedona, so it’s a short walk to get there. Our room is very clean and modern, and the bed is extremely comfortable. Breakfast this morning consisted of eggs, chicken sausage, hash browns, and toast. The coffee was excellent. Cheryl and her husband Joe are the proprietors. Cheryl is very informative about Sedona and the surrounding area, and provided many recommendations about things to see and where to find good food. Plus, she makes very good breakfasts and offers a variety of options with a different menu each morning.


Denny & Diane Bailey on the left. Barb and me on the right. Photo taken by a friendly fellow at the Spoke and Wheel tavern.

Shortly after breakfast our friends Diane and Denny Bailey (who are staying at another location in Sedona) picked us up and we drove to the Grand Canyon. The Baileys have visited the area before and know how to get around. Good thing, because it saved us the aggravation of heading the wrong way on the wrong highway.

We decided to take a shuttle bus at the Canyon, and picked the Blue Route. We picked that route because there were shelters at each of the stops and we wanted some means of protection in case lightning struck. A storm seemed to be brewing and we could hear thunder. We boarded the bus (free ride) and rode west, stopping perhaps six times before we disembarked. We found pathways to the edge of the Canyon with plenty of places to get dizzy and feel like you were going to be lured too close and sucked over the edge by one of the thousands of spiritual vortexes that come and go all through this region.


Young man standing on the ragged edge of Hell.

Luckily, none of us were sucked or kicked over the side. But there were a few Canyon visitors who seemed to be tempting fate.

I took lots of photos and thought each time I hit the take button that the photo could not do justice to what I was actually seeing. Cell phone cameras are much better than they used to be, however, and some of the pictures are pretty good.

I won’t say much more about what we saw. You really have to see it for yourself to understand how awesome this place is.

After returning to Sedona, we went to the Spoke and Wheel Tavern. It was about 5:oo p.m. when we finally sat down and ordered food. We made it for happy hour, and saved a few bucks on drinks. We all ordered the Chicken Jalapeno quesadillas, which was recommended by Diane and Denny. They were delicious. Our last meal of the day came 10 hours after our previous meal. Cheryl’s breakfast kept us going quite a while.

Diane and Denny dropped us off at the B & B at the end of the day. We hope to see Diane in Indiana soon when she returns to visit family.

“What should we do tomorrow?”

“Wanna climb one of these rock formations?”

“Oh, sure. Let’s pick one with a spiritual vortex so if we fall, we’ll fall into the vortex and gain new insights.”


WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15
%d bloggers like this: